Long term program costs:
The total cost of your Exchange varies depending on the country of exchange, your departure location and your personal budget.
Below is a broad outline of costs, to give you a general idea.
The student’s parents or guardian provide for all of the following costs:
- A global administration fee payable to Rotary to cover:
- Return airfare, as arranged by Rotary, to the country of exchange. This must be a flexible fare. All students pay the same amount regardless of what country they are going to.
- Personal insurance, as defined by Rotary International.
- Attendance at orientation and debrief days, orientation manuals, Rotary Youth Exchange blazer, business cards and assistance in obtaining visas
- An Emergency Fund of approximately $500 (AUD) that is available for the student to access at all times.
- Internal travel in overseas country including Rotary organised tours.
- Day to day living expenses of the student such as postage, phone calls, personal items, clothing, footwear and some school expenses such as a school uniform if required.
- Gifts for Rotarians and host families in the host country.
- Rotary approved host families who provide a family environment for the student including meals.
- Schooling and the payment of normal school fees and some expenses.
- A monthly allowance of approximately AUD $150 paid to the student by their host club (value is dependant on the country of exchange).
- A student counsellor, both here and in the host country.
- Back up support and counselling for the family of the student
Amounts vary but we suggest you allow approximately AUD$9,000 to AUD$10,000 for costs throughout the year.
Naturally, you have to consider these amounts against what it normally costs to keep you for 12 months living at home.
Student scholarships are available for eligible students to help fund their exchange. Further details on scholarship opportunities will be made available when exchange applications open.
Short term program costs:
As with long term exchange, the cost of your exchange will vary depending on where you go, where you depart from, and your own personal spending money.
As a guide, here is a basic outline of costs. As the short term program is a direct student-to-student program where parents book the travel and insurance directly, there is only a very small administration fee payable to Rotary for this type of exchange.
- Rotary Administration Fee – $100.
- Cost for airline tickets and travel insurance: this varies depending on the country but allow for between $1,500 and $2,000. Flights are booked by Rotary and must be flexible.
- Your own spending money.
- Passport cost additional if required.
- Depending on the host country, there may also be some out of pocket expenses for any tours organised by the host club/district, but attendance at these is at the discretion of the student and their family.
- There are no fees for schooling, and the students own school uniform from home can be worn. There are also no accommodation or meal costs as the student is hosted by a local family. This hosting then needs to be reciprocated by the student’s family in their own country.
For further information about the STEP program and it’s costs, please email our STEP Coordinator on rotaryYEP9640@gmail.com